How to Apply for a Toddler's Philippine Passport

12/11/2016 08:00:00 PM

My daughter turned 2 last September 2016 and because I decided to create lots and lots of memories with her I think it's high time to get her a passport. My passport is already expired this July this year so a need to visit DFA is really a must.

I have read several blogs about passport application for infants (like less than a year-old). My daughter is somewhere between an infant and a school kid. So what should I do? Don't freak out momma, hope my experience is helpful.


How to Apply for a Toddler's Philippine Passport

  1. Set an appointment. I am renewing my passport so my daughter is included on my group appointment. I wasn't sure about this until the day of the appointment. A kumare told me that children with ages 7 below need not an appointment, I made an appointment for her anyway just in case. 
  2. Prepare sets of documentary requirement. Prepare a set of the original and a set of the photocopy. I am not married yet. My daughter carries my maiden name so her documentary requirement is shorter. My mind debated whether I need to execute a notarized affidavit of explanation for Sophie. She just turned 2 so obviously she did haven't been to school yet. To save me from any hassle, I paid an attorney to prepare me one. If you need a template, you may find one here.

  3. Make a personal appearance. We made it just in time. Our appointment is at 11:30 and we arrived at 11:30. Other regional and satellite offices were strict about the appointment. Thankfully, DFA Tuguegarao is more relaxed. I informed the guard on duty that I am renewing a passport and my daughter is applying for one. He just smiled and said I don't need to queue at the entrance. "Make your way to Window 2 (checking and verification counter)", he said. Those words made this hungry momma smiled from ear to ear.
  4. Pay processing.
  5. Data entry and picture taking. This took longer than step 3 to 4. My daughter doesn't want to look at the camera. She looks for a few seconds then blink. I highly recommend to practice picture taking with your toddler as a preparation. A stranger helped me  Also, make your toddler wear something with sleeves. Finger prints of toddlers were not yet taken. As for the signature, the parent will do it until the child learns to write.
  6. Arrange for delivery. 
If you momma, need to renew or apply for a new passport, apply while your child is young to avoid the line. Here are some important questions and answers which I think are helpful for mommies who are like me -- unmarried, with a child that bears mother's maiden name.

Q: I am setting for an appointment for my child who bears my maiden name. What should I do?
A: Check the illegimate box on the information section of your child, this will disable the need to enter middle name so you can proceed with the appointment.

Q: My child is just 2 years old, do I need to execute a Notarized Affidavit of Explanation detailing why she haven't attended school.
A: No need.

Q: My child is now 2 years old, do I need to make an appointment for her?
A: There's no need for DFA Tuguegarao. For other consular offices, you can confirm by contacting their hotline. If in doubt, make an appointment. 

Q: I noticed an error on the data I have input on my online application (appointment), what should I do?
A: During the verification process, mention about the error. The will make a correction and will make a remark that your information needs amendment.

The application process may require a long wait, make sure to bring some sweater or a blanket for your child because DFA consular offices can be cold. Bring some snacks and toys for your child, too.

You Might Also Like

0 comments