English Proficiency Test 2017: Frustrations and Celebrations

2/20/2017 08:32:00 AM

English Proficiency Test or EPT is an examination conducted by Dep Ed Bureau of Assessment Examinations (BEA). For K-junior applicants, this exam makes up 15% of the overall assessment score to qualify for RQA. 5% for  Senior High School applicants. It is a 90-minute exam on written grammar, error identification and reading comprehension.

2 years ago, I took the same exam. By that time, the system is first come, first served. That means, who ever comes early to the testing center will of course, take the exam early. I was happy to know that this year, Dep Ed Isabela School Divisions Office have created room assignments. The document was released a day before the exam. The release was late, yes I know. In addition to that, the schedule of exam was changed too. Instead of having a 2-day schedule for the exam, it was reduced to 1. Possible reasons: fear of leakage, large number of applicants who retained their EPT score from last year, some backed out, other applicants were not on the list.


My exam schedule is Feb 18 and probably after lunch because I'm grouped with the 4th batch. Thank you, surname. Our team decided to go early to the test venue just in case there are other changes on the arrangement. True enough. Co-applicants from our district called and informed us that the exam will be first-com-first-served basis again. It is an advantage for me because I don't have to waste the whole day waiting for my turn.  

Each room would only accommodate 30 examinees. For easier control and documentation. When we arrived, first batch is already set to begin. We chose a room to take the exam, made an unofficial list to create a reservation. Little did we know, next to the room where we chose to take the exam is a reserved testing room. It's a room that houses applicants from the first batch who were not accommodated because test booklets are insufficient. Frustration#2. Learning about the "reserved testing room" heated the situation.

Oh, don't chose a room closest to the entrance of the venue. It will surely be crowded. Chances of getting in is slimmer.

What now? Our group formed a line near the room entrance. On our faces a determination to enter the room even to the point of breaking rules. Na, just keeping. Though, it's kind of frustrating that we have to fight for our position. I'm on the 25th-ish spot and I am a little worried. What if there are other applicants who squeezed themselves before me? My heart pounded faster when the proctor told us that we can get in. There is pushing, screaming. Seconds later, I found myself seating on the last row. Like a fire ball catapulted. 


The exam format did not really change. I can also identify some questions from 2 years ago. 15 items on grammar, 25 on identifying errors and 50 on reading comprehension. I took it for about 40 minutes. The exam seems easy.  But after discussing with the team after the exam, I can identify some mistakes on my answers. I am aiming for 85% to get a decent final grade on the assessment.

As for the administration of the exam, I hope the next ones will be more efficient. BEA could implement an official wait list for applicants in each testing room. Guidelines and other announcements should be made at least 3 days earlier. 

What to celebrate for? I started the exam with a prayer that I may honor God through it. It is tempting to discuss with a seatmate but I remained focused on my work. Whatever will be the result, I'll still be praising God for all the favor and His guidance through the application process. I was able to gain and re-gain friends. 

You Might Also Like

0 comments